Sunday, July 21, 2013

Grilled Shrimp with Watermelon, Basil, Corn and Burrata from Chef Joseph Lenn at The Barn at Blackberry Farm

I read the Wall Street Journal every weekend and there's always an amazing recipe just calling my name. Ed chose this one, and we decided I had to make it today. The perfect Sunday supper. Grilled Shrimp with Watermelon, Basil, Corn and Burrata.

This recipe is from Chef Joseph Lenn at The Barn at Blackberry Farm in Walland, Tennessee.


I made some minor alterations just due to what I had on hand, so I'll share those here. This was amazingly easy and even more amazingly delicious. It actually made Ed do a dance in the kitchen. He won't let me post the video of him doing the "corn salsa dance." Trust me. It was priceless.

This recipe has delicious fresh ingredients - shrimp, olive oil, minced garlic, sliced basil, salt and pepper, kernels of fresh corn, white balsamic (which I didn't have so found the perfect substitute), watermelon, and burrata (which Whole Food was out of, so I substituted small fresh balls of mozzarella.


The mound of mozzarella look like little clouds. They were a perfect substitution for burrata cheese.


When you cut the watermelon, cut it into very small pieces. Small as the corn kernels.


The combination of corn, watermelon and basil is amazing. This would be a great accompaniment to chicken, fish or any number of summer dishes.


I didn't have white balsamic, so I Googled what the substitute might be, and it said that white wine vinegar with a touch of sugar is a good sub, so I used it. It was perfect.


Plate prep was pretty fun. The light was just perfect. These are my favorite "fish plates" that we got at the Kosta Boda factory in Kosta, Sweden when we visited my brother Gregg there a few years back. This is just the mozzarella drizzled with olive oil and a little pinch of salt.


And this is the final dish. Fresh. Light. Flavorful. Healthy. Recipe is right below. You must try this one.


Grilled Shrimp with Watermelon, Basil, Corn and Burrata
1 lb. large shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
2 teaspoons minced garlic
4 tablespoons finely slice basil (I did a chiffonade of basil by rolling up the basil leaves and then cutting the roll with scissors)
salt and freshly ground black pepper
Kernels from 4 ears of fresh corn on the cob
1 1/2 tablespoons white balsamic (substitute is white wine vinegar with a touch of sugar)
3 cups cubed watermelon (very small cubes - see the pic)
2 balls burrata, halved, at room temperature

In a small bowl, toss shrimp with 2 tbsp. olive oil, garlic and 1 tbsp. basil. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.

In a medium bowl, toss corn with vinegar and remaining basil and oil. Add watermelon and season with salt.

Recipe calls for grilling the shrimp, but I put them into the wok. Just easier....

Divide burrata, shrimp and corn-watermelon salad among 2 plates. Season burrata with salt and drizzle with olive oil and serve.

This is one we'll serve to company. Enjoy! And thanks Chef Lenn and thanks Wall Street Journal!

No comments:

Post a Comment