Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Homemade Hawaiian Sweet Rolls


I got this recipe from Pinterest, where I spend a good bit of time searching for great recipes. First off, anyone who knows me knows I'm not a baker. Something about all that precise measuring makes my baked goods less than perfect. But I decided to give it a try, and with the right equipment, the right ingredients and MUCH attention to detail, I did it!

The recipe says these rolls are just like the King's Hawaiian Rolls you buy at the grocery store. And guess what? They were right!

So this is my first foray into baking homemade rolls. I borrowed my BFF Angela's professional mixer and they turned out amazing.


I loved it so much that I asked my hubby for a mixer for my birthday, and his response was, "No way. I don't want you making great bread. That would be very bad for us." (not really a direct quote, but you get he idea. He doesn't want to eat all those carbs.)


The pineapple juice and yeast will bubble.


You'll know it's mixed when the dough removes itself from the sides of the bowl.


The dough rises twice. Once now in the bowl until it's doubled in size, and again after you form the rolls.


Rolls will smooth out in the oven.


I was so proud! My very first homemade rolls.


Then of course, I had to put them on a pretty plate and eat 2 or 10 of them with a half pound of butter. haha



Don't skimp on the butter. If you're gonna eat hot rolls, EAT HOT ROLLS.


Buttery, sweet deliciousness.


Here's the recipe!

Hawaiian Sweet Rolls
Ingredients
1 ½ c. pineapple juice
4 ½ tsp. active dry yeast
2/3 c. granulated sugar
1/2 c. butter, at room temperature, plus extra for brushing rolls
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 large eggs
5-6 c. bread flour
1 tsp. salt
Directions
  1. In a small saucepan, heat pineapple juice over medium-low temperature until juice reaches about 105 F.
  2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, stir together yeast and 2 tablespoons of sugar.
  3. Once the pineapple juice is at temperature, add to the bowl. Stir, and let the yeast mixture stand for 5-10 minutes, or until foamy.
  4. Once the yeast is foamy, add the remaining sugar, butter, vanilla extract, and eggs; stir to combine.
  5. Switch from the paddle attachment to the dough hook, and add 3 cups of flour and salt. Stir on low.
  6. Continue adding flour 1/2 cup at a time until dough clears the sides of the bowl. The dough will feel slightly sticky. It takes 5 1/2 cups of flour for my rolls.
  7. Once the dough comes together and clears the sides, continue to knead for about 1 minute.
  8. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, and let it rise until dough has doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours.
  9. Shape dough into rolls. If you would like smaller, dinner-sized rolls, shape into 24 rolls. If you would like larger, bun-sized rolls, shape into 12-18 rolls depending on desired size.
  10. Cover rolls with plastic wrap, and let rolls rise until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.
  11. Toward the end of the second rise, preheat oven to 350 F.
  12. Bake rolls for about 20 minutes (for dinner-sized rolls), or until rolls are golden brown.
  13. Immediately brush rolls with butter.
  14. Serve warm or at room temperature.


No comments:

Post a Comment